phd candidate - ryerson university - toronto,on 2012-present
Environmental Applied Sciences and Management
masc - ryerson university - toronto, on 2010-2012
Master of Applied Science - Environmental Applied Sciences and Management
Thesis work presented a review of the CSR reporting of the 14 apparel/footwear brands belonging to the Sustainable Apparel Coalition. Qualitative and quantitative data were collected on all reported CSR initiatives, actions and indicators and a cross-case analysis was conducted. The key findings of the study include a lack of comparability among reported CSR indicators. In addition, a similar distribution pattern of CSR indicators across five elements was observed. The results highlight that CSR reporting currently is not effective in providing a true reflection of brands CSR actions and initiatives and the means for evaluating effectiveness in CSR reporting has not yet been put in place.
Bachelor of communication and design - ryerson university - toronto,on 2003-2008
Major Fashion Design
bachelor of science - university of manitoba - winnipeg, mb 1998-2003
Honours Major Psychology/Microbiology
Kozlowski, A., Searcy, C., & Bardecki, M. (2016). The fashion habit: Understanding habits as a praxis for sustainable consumer behaviours. Manuscript in preparation.
Kozlowski, A., Searcy, C., & Bardecki, M. (2016). The reDesign Canvas: Fashion design as a tool for sustainability. Manuscript submitted for publication.
Kozlowski, A., Bardecki, M., & Searcy, C. (2016). Innovation for a sustainable fashion industry: A design focused approach toward the development of new business models. In S.S. Muthu & M.A. Gardetti (Eds.), Green Fashion (pp.151-170). Singapore: Springer.
Kozlowski, A, Searcy, C. & Bardecki, M. (2015). Corporate sustainability reporting in the apparel industry. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 64(3), 377-397.
Kozlowski, A., Bardecki, M., & Searcy, C. (2014). Sustainability Driven Innovation and Fashion Design. In K. Niinimaki (Ed.), Sustainable Fashion: New Approaches (pp.134-145). Helsinki: Aalto University.
Kozlowski, A. Bardecki, M. & Searcy, C. (2012). Environmental impacts in the fashion industry: A lifecycle and stakeholder framework. Journal of Corporate Citizenship, 2012(45), 16-36.
Kozlowski, A. and Wrobel, C. (2011). International Tourists’ Willingness-to-pay for Entry to the Annapurna Conservation Area, Nepal. Himalayan Journal of Development and Democracy, 6(1), 97-109.
Bardecki, M. and Kozlowski, A. (2011). Green Fashion in K.Wehr, (Ed.). Green Culture: An A-to-Z Guide. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 163-165.
WEAR conference -Toronto, ON 2016
- Presenter - reDesign Canvas: A designer's approach for a responsible fashion system
DMI Academic Design Management Conference - London, UK 2014
- Presenter - Sustainable fashion: A re-conceptualization of the role of fashion design
PMa conference - copenhagen, denmark 2014
- Presenter (Dr. Cory Searcy, co-author, presented in my place) - Corporate sustainability reports in the apparel industry: An analysis of reported indicators
Sustainable & Innovative Fashion Seminar - Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland 2013
- Invited Presenter - Innovation for a Sustainable Fashion Industry: A Design Focused Approach
International Researcher Workshop on Sustainable Fashion - Copenhagen Business School 2013
- Invited Presenter - Sustainable innovation in the fashion industry: A design focused approach towards the development of new business models
academic peer reviewer
Resources, Conservation & Recycling 2017
Journal of Cleaner production 2016 - Present
Journal of fashion technology & textile engineering 2016 - present
DMI: ADMC conference - boston,ma 2016
- Design management track
journal of business ethics 2015 - present
dmi: admc conference - london, uk 2014
Design management and artistic intervention track
academic work experience
Part-time Lecturer - ryerson university - toronto,on 2016 - present
- FSN 120 - First year fashion design (pattern drafting + construction).
- FSN 707 - Research Methods (tutorial leader).
- Ryerson University - ES 8930 Seminar in Environmental Applied Sciences & Management - 2016 & 2017
- Ryerson University - FSN707 Research methods - 2016 & 2017
- Ryerson University - FS8105 Ethics & sustainable design - 2015 - 2017
- Ryerson University - FSN 223 Fashion theory & concepts - 2014 & 2016
- Ryerson University - FSN 123 Intro to Fashion - 2012, 2013 & 2015
- OCAD University - VISD 2005 Contemporary Design Theories and Practices - 2013
- Ryerson Today hosted by Anne Pringle - Ryerson University - Toronto, ON 2016
- These Changing Times hosted by Jarrett Cole - CKUW University of Winnipeg Radio - Winnipeg, MB 2016
TA/GA - Graduate Teaching Assistant - ryerson university - toronto,on 2010-PRESENT
- FSN 123 - Intro to fashion
- FSN 223 - Fashion theory & concepts
- FSN 203 - History of design
- FS 8001 - Research methods
- CHY 103 - General chemistry I
- GEO 312 - Viva Las Vegas!
- GEO 811 - Global environmental issues
- GEO 509 - Food, place & identity
Capstone Judge - ryerson university - toronto, on 2015 - present
- FFC 41 - Fashion communication & design senior thesis project
research assistant - ryerson university - toronto, on 2007-2008, Present
Statistical Analyst of research data collected
Developing and conducting data collection, including survey design as it relates to fashion buying influences
INVIGILATOR - ACCESS CENTRE - RYERSON UNIVERSITY 2011-PRESENT
Invigilating and assisting students with disabilities that require accommodations and support.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship - 2012-2015
- International Conference and Research Support Fund - 2011, 2013, 2016
- Ryerson Graduate Scholarship - 2012
- Queen Elizabeth II Scholarship for Science & Technology - 2011
- Dennis Mock Scholarship - 2011
- Ryerson Graduate Award - 2010, 2012
design work experience + awards
consultant - msh district - toronto, on 2015
- Worked as a sustainable design and creative direction advisor within an entrepreneurial incubator setting.
consultant - gahaya links - kigali, rwanda 2010
- Volunteered for three months to aid with the set-up of an apparel and home textiles department at Gahaya Links; a fair trade crafts company whose customers include Macy’s, Anthropologie and Sam’s Club.
- Designed a sustainable apparel and home products line for S/S 2012 and developed co-coordinating seasonal colour palettes for the Gahaya brand.
- Sourced all sustainable materials.
- Designed accessories for Anthropologie S/S 2011.
- Responsible for creating and implementing a training program for the staff to learn how to sew utilizing industrial machines and production techniques.
- Created all necessary production documents such as buying sheets, sample cards and cost sheets.
womenswear designer - bluenotes - toronto, on 2008-2011
- Responsible for the direction, design and development of original graphic art and prints for all ladieswear apparel, swimwear, loungewear, accessories and packaging: yarn dyes, all-over prints, embroidery, appliqués, screen prints and placement prints.
- Prepared print packs and artworks for production ensuring proper technical requirements are met.
- Responsible for approving prints for production ensuring specifications for quality and cost are met.
- Responsible for technical CAD garment drawings used for production packages.
- Researched trends and oversaw the creation and execution of seasonal trend forecasting (head office use) and product knowledge booklets, distributed nationally for in-store use.
- Proposed and developed the use of weekly trend blasts.
- Researched colour trends and developed seasonal colour palettes.
- Assisted in product line development through selection and modification of styles.
- Proposed and developed the use of monthly inspiration boards for design, marketing, merchandising and buying teams to create cohesive concept driven product lines, marketing strategies and merchandise mix in-store.
- Developed a print and CAD technical library for the use of all employees to reduce drawing time. The library became a standard reference tool for all designers to work from and add to.
- Designed and executed all marketing and branding from handtags to label for Bluenotes Blue label.
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.
FREELANCE DESIGN, competitions + awards - 2005-present
- Custom designed jerseys for Majid Jordan (Canadian singing duo) – 2015.
- Editorial spread in Fantasticsmag - 2009.
- Finalist in the Modern Amusement t-shirt design competition - 2009.
- Winner of the 2008 Most Promising Designer of the Year award presented by the Art of Fashion Organization - 2008.
- Participated in Alternative Fashion Week (FAT) from 2005 – 2009.
- With a focus on sustainable fashion, designed and produced collections for the Toronto Wildlife Show, Green Living Show, Flourish and FAT.
- Graduation collection was selected as 1 of 10 designers to be showcased at the Holt Renfrew Flagship store - 2008.
volunteer work + social projects
Sustainable fashion mentor - the joe fresh centre for fashion innovation - Toronto, on 2017- present
The goal of The Joe Fresh Centre for Fashion Innovation is to foster a 360-degree approach to mentorship that will best position emerging entrepreneurs for real world success.
Founder, writer + creative director - sum journal - toronto, on 2015-present
An online platform that explores the praxis of sustainability + design + aesthetics (ethical aesthetics). Sum journal challenges our preconceptions of "eco-design" by highlighting new emerging innovations, technologies & designers that redefine what (responsible) fashion can be. Sum journal enjoys critical discussions about the current fashion landscape and the possibilities for a (responsible) fashion future.
Canadian manager, writer + researcher - Future threads project - Stockholm, sweden 2013-2014
The Future Threads Project is a non-profit project aiming to inspire more people to take part in the discussion of what sustainable fashion is.
- Advised & researched on sustainable fashion for all major projects.
- Contributed weekly blog postings.
- Formed, developed the Canadian chapter of FTP.
- Planned & executed sustainable fashion events for the Canadian chapter of FTP.
Researcher - fashion takes action - toronto, on 2010
Fashion Takes Action is a non-profit organization that focuses on sustainability in the fashion industry. Working with both industry and the general public with the goal to shift behaviour toward more positive social and environmental impacts.
- Responsible for research concerning the environmental impacts of apparel.
- Completed all research for the ‘Reduce your Fashion Footprint’ campaign launched November 2011 (now the Resizing Fashion's Footprint campaign).
Mentor - toronto, on 2012-present
- Mentor fashion designers interested in pursuing sustainable fashion.